Saturday, February 21, 2015

"I Hate Climbing", and Other Excuses of A Mountain Biker

“Sorry.”, I said as my foot slipped off the pedal during a small hill climb. And again as I slowed to a halt on a switchback corner, “Sorry”. If you have ever been behind me on a group ride, chances are you've heard me say this word many times. I say it instinctively, as if to shield myself from criticism or condemnation, to ward off the attack that never comes. Newsflash: the person riding behind you probably doesn't care that you currently suck at climbing/descending/cornering. My husband, Jason, used to ride behind me on climbs; listening to my constant apologies really bothered him. Not because I was slow or had to stop a few times, but because I felt the need to keep telling him I was sorry. I believe, “Dude, I don't care.” was his exact sentiment. Now, he goes ahead on the climbs to avoid my self-defeating hill climb monologues. I still lead on the descents, which are my strength, but my mind is fixated on those sections of trail where I come undone. I'm tired of sucking at climbing, and also tired of invariably announcing it. 

Target Acquired
So, I've decided to take action; I am on a mission to turn myself into a great climber. The first step was figuring out why I hate climbing so much. The answer - because I suck at it. Why is that? Because I avoid it at all costs, in my head I have made hills out to be some unconquerable behemoth, something to never face. The second step – removing my clipless pedals from my bike and switching back to flats. Don't worry, I'm not moving over to the Flats or Die camp (yet), but clipless pedals were not helping me learn to climb. Any time I would slow down or approach a technical section, my right foot would unclip and be on the ground without me even realizing it – another bad habit. Going back to flat pedals is like learning to mountain bike all over again, the right way, relying on body position and smooth pedal stroke.

Taking a Break and Enjoying the View
Step 3 – hill repeats, several times per week at a small park. The hills are short and rocky and perfect for a short training session after work. If my foot hits the ground during a climb, I start all over again at the bottom. While challenging, and often frustrating, this has actually started to be fun. One day, I realized at the end of an hour and a half of riding that my bank card fell out of my pack somewhere on the trails. I retraced my entire ride trying to find it, and I made it up every climb on the first try. I thought, “Why can't I ride like this all of the time?”. It turns out, I can. I just have to focus on the crest of the climb, and not all of the rocks, which are just distractions along the way. So, what am I so sorry for? Sorry for showing up, trying my hardest, testing my limits, or facing my fears? These are not things to be sorry for; these are things to be celebrated. 

Yes, this is me smiling AFTER a climb!

2 comments:

  1. Great post Andrea! I need to get out and do some hill repeats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can hear myself in your words. Uncanny resemblance to the way I ride, except I ride flats and my fiancé recently bought me clipless (thinking it'd help me in some way to feel less defeated). If anything I'm paranoid in them and they freak me out. Anyway, your hill repeats exercise is one I should employ. That's brilliant. I eventually got kind of good at it one summer because I was literally riding higher elevation almost daily. Gotta climb for the prime! Unfortunately I'm back to square one as my endurance is lacking a bit. Descending is my strength as well so I feel you!! Great post and may all of your rides be more epic than the last!

    ReplyDelete